Article By James Dakey
maternity care providers face, as well as some of the possible solutions.aternity care in Ghana is woefully inadequate, leaving mothers and their children vulnerable to preventable and serious infant and maternal deaths. This article by Viva Health Magazine #vivahealthmag discusses the challenges that
Ghana has a population of about 27 million people, of which about 45% are female. The country has a high maternal mortality rate – 210 deaths per 100 000 live births, compared to a regional median of 54.8 – and this gap is only widening. In 2013, the UN Development Programme published a report that found that pregnancy-related conditions were the leading cause of death among women aged 15-49 in Ghana. In addition, more than two-thirds of pregnancies in Ghana are unplanned, meaning that pregnant women do not have access to contraception or antenatal care.
Causes of Inadequate Maternity health
- Lack of adequate prenatal care: A lack of access to quality antenatal care can lead to problems during childbirth, including obstructed labor, pregnancy-related hypertension, and cesarean section.
- Poor maternal health: Studies have shown that a high percentage of pregnant women in Ghana have either HIV or AIDS. This means that they are more likely to have complications during childbirth, such as pre-eclampsia and low birth weight babies.
- Lack of skilled labor: Many maternity care providers are untrained and lack the necessary skills to provide high-quality care. This can lead to unnecessary injuries and even death for the mother and her child.
- Limited resources: Limited resources often mean that hospitals do not have the money to purchase the necessary equipment, such as ventilators or cesarean sections. In fact, only about one in four facilities meet international standards for maternity care.
- Lack of funds: The funding available for maternity care is insufficient to cover the costs of providing quality services.
- Poor diet during pregnancy
- Lack of exercise
Improving Maternity Health in Ghana
There are a number of ways that you can help improve maternity care in Ghana. First, you can support organizations that provide quality antenatal care to pregnant women. You can also donate money to hospitals or other health care providers who provide maternity care.
There is a need for maternity care in Ghana, as the country has a population of over 30 million. Many healthcare providers in remote areas are not familiar with the best practices for delivering babies, and may not be able to provide the best possible care for pregnant women and their infants. It is important that maternity care in Ghana is provided by those who are well-trained and equipped to provide quality services.
Adequate funding should be made available for healthcare infrastructural development in Ghana, in order to improve maternity care.
Poor diets during pregnancy can lead to numerous health problems for both the mother and her child. Pregnant women should be urged to engage in regular exercise, and to avoid smoking. By taking these simple measures, we can help improve maternity care in Ghana and ensure that pregnant women receive the best possible care.
Regular exercised should be encouraged among pregnant women. Regular exercise during pregnancy has been shown to be beneficial for both the mother and the child. It can help reduce stress, increase energy levels, and improve moods. Pregnant women who regularly exercise may also have a lower risk of developing high blood pressure, pre-term labor, and other complications during pregnancy. Exercise can also promote better sleep habits for the pregnant woman.?
Many gyms offer special classes specifically designed for pregnant women. Most prenatal gyms offer classes that focus on low-impact exercises such as yoga or cardio workouts.? Some gyms also offer strength training classes that are appropriate for pregnant women.? In general, prenatal gyms are a great way to get fit while avoiding any impact to the baby’s health.?
Finally, you can talk to your friends and family members about the importance of prenatal care and childbirth safety in Ghana.
Regular exercise during pregnancy is important for both the mother and the child. It can help reduce stress, increase energy levels, and improve moods. Pregnant women who regularly exercise may also have a lower risk of developing high blood pressure, pre-term labor, and other complications during pregnancy. Exercise can also promote better sleep habits for the pregnant woman.? Gyms offer special classes specifically designed for pregnant women. Most prenatal gyms offer classes that focus on low-impact exercises such as yoga or cardio workouts.? Strength training classes are also available in many prenatal gyms.? Talking to your friends and family members about childbirth safety is another way to get information about prenatal care.