A fairly common side effect of losing a notable amount of weight is loose, or “saggy,” skin. In fact, over 70% of people who have weight loss surgery experience it. While this is very normal, it does provide a unique set of discomforts.
Loose skin can be painful because it can tug at you or irritate your skin by rubbing against you. It can also wear on you mentally and increase your self-consciousness. Excess skin can even interfere with exercise and any physical activity. So, while weight management encourages people to exercise, the result of loose skin is not exactly desirable.
Getting rid of excess, loose skin may involve surgery, but there are some other, less invasive methods you can try as well.
4 main causes of loose skin
- Age : As we age, the skin on our body loses elasticity. This means that it becomes harder and less forgiving when it comes to someone losing weight.
- Genetics – Some people are more prone to loose skin than others, regardless of their weight.
- Stress – Chronic stress can also lead to a loss in elasticity in the skin, which can cause saggy skin.
- Diet and Exercise – Too much sugar or processed foods, not enough exercise, and not taking care of your dietary needs can all lead to a loss of elasticity in the skin and therefore, loose skin.
How to Avoid Loose Skin After Weight Loss
- Eat a balanced diet – Consuming too many processed foods or sugary drinks will lead to a loss of elasticity in the skin, which will result in loose skin. Make sure to include plenty of proteins, fruits and vegetables, and whole grains in your diet for optimal results.
- Increase your intake of antioxidants – Antioxidants work together with enzymes to help prevent damage from occurring within the body’s cells and tissues. By increasing your intake of antioxidants such as vitamin C, you’ll help keep your skin healthy and looking its best.
- Take care of your muscles – Muscles need adequate collagen production for normal function and appearance; if you’re not providing them with the appropriate nutrients, they may not be able to do their job properly which will lead to loose skin over time
- Exercise – Exercise helps to improve blood circulation and increase the production of hormones that are essential for optimal skin health. Additionally, exercise helps to tighten and tone the skin, which will help to reduce the appearance of loose skin.
- Use a topical cream or serum – A topical cream or serum can help to improve the appearance of aging skin by stimulating collagen production and providing some anti-aging effects. Topical creams and serums are also great for hydrating and nourishing the skin, which will help to prevent it from becoming dry and saggy over time.
- Occupation – Occupations that require you to be on your feet for a long period of time, such as a doctor or a physical therapist, are especially likely to lead to skin loosening. By improving your posture and avoiding excessive stress, you can help reduce the incidence of loose skin.
- How to avoid loose skin – Diet and exercise are two key ingredients for keeping your skin looking its best. By eating a balanced and nutritious diet, you’ll help to maintain your skin’s healthy barrier function. Additionally, regular exercise will help to improve blood circulation and increase the production of hormones that are essential for optimal skin health. Additionally, exercise helps to tighten and tone the skin, which will help to reduce the appearance of loose skin.
- Topical Creams or Serums – A topical cream or serum can help to improve the appearance of aging skin by stimulating collagen production and providing some anti-aging effects. Topical creams and serums are also great for hydrating and nourishing the skin, which will help to prevent it from becoming dry and saggy over time.
Symptoms of loose skin and remedies
Symptoms could be sagging skin, wrinkles, loss of elasticity, dryness, and thinning skin
- Identify the root cause of the loose skin. This could be a combination of factors such as genetics, age, lifestyle choices, and environmental factors. Take steps to address the root cause of the loose skin. This could involve undergoing surgery or treatment to improve the underlying condition, or changing lifestyle habits or environmental conditions that are contributing to the problem. Evaluate the root cause of the loose skin and take steps to address it. This could involve undergoing surgery or treatment to improve the underlying condition, or changing lifestyle habits or environmental conditions that are contributing to the problem. Loose skin can be a side effect of a few lifestyle habits—it’s not strictly associated with weight loss. Here are the main reasons individuals may find themselves with “loose” skin on their bodies.
- Eat a balanced diet. Make sure that you’re getting the nutrients your body needs to stay healthy, including proteins, fibers, and healthy fats. This will help to reduce the amount of excess fluid stored in your body.
- Drink plenty of water. Not only does it help to flush out your system, but it also helps to maintain a healthy weight since our bodies store water in excess when we’re overweight or obese.
- Exercise regularly. Even if you don’t see any drastic changes right away, being physically active will help make your skin firmer over time. Working out doesn’t just improve your physical appearance; it also helps to reduce stress levels and keep your heart healthy!
- Take supplements if necessary. If you find that you have excess skin even after following all of the above tips, consider taking supplements such as CoQ10 or ginger extract (both of which have been shown to reduce the appearance of stretch marks).
- Once you’ve determined the root cause, you can begin to address it. Start by reducing your calorie intake. A small reduction in your caloric intake can help to reduce the amount of fluid retention and reduce the amount of loose skin that you will see. Exercise regularly. Getting your blood pumping helps to release stored energy and helps to tighten your skin.
While there is no guarantee that following these tips will completely prevent you from developing loose skin, they are a good starting point. By taking care of your weight, exercising regularly, and supplementing where necessary, you can help to keep your skin looking tight and toned.